Snort mailing list archives

RE: rules with flow:established not working

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 15:31:50 -0500

--On Saturday, October 25, 2003 13:14:40 -0500 Ed Callahan <snort () edcallahan com> wrote:

I'm reaching the limit of my comfort-zone here, but packets 1-3 seem
to be the 3-way handshake you and Paul referred to, and I see the ACK
bit set. So it would seem that the problem is not with my NIC/OS or
with Winpcap (if ethereal is using that to read packets?).

Yes, ethereal uses winpcap. As to the rest, I'm out of my element. I haven't used snort on Windows, so I can't tell you whether the rules work correctly on that platform or not. It does appear you're getting the three way handshake before each of the requests that you posted, so I'm going to have to drop out of this conversation and let the Windows pros take over.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member