Snort mailing list archives

RE: rules with flow:established not working

From: "Schmehl, Paul L" <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 16:31:36 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Ed Callahan [mailto:snort () edcallahan com]
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2003 3:23 PM
To: Erek Adams
Cc: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] rules with flow:established not working

How does snort know the flow is established?

Erek can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's the three way
handshake, and I'm *not* sure that Nikto does that.  I think it may just
throw exploit strings at the server and look at the responses.  If so,
that would explain why the flow:established rules aren't triggering
alerts.

Can I look at
the packets to see if the problem is with the NIC/OS or with
WinPCap/Snort?

I would think that ethereal would show you what's going on.  Just start
it up and record the session and then browse through the results.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member