Snort mailing list archives

Re: tippingpoint]

From: John Sage <jsage () finchhaven com>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 08:50:14 -0700

On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 10:12:20AM -0700, Geoff wrote:
John seems little bitter :)

/* snip */

Hardly. The thread as originally opened:

From: Kerry Cox <kerry.cox () ksl com>
To: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject: [Snort-users] tippingpoint
Date: 14 Oct 2003 10:49:27 -0600

"The Dell sales guy has been talking to management trying to sell them
on this intrusion prevention solution from TippingPoint Technologies.
Management, of course, is curious and wonders why we even use Snort
when we could spend money on a solution rather than have it free. :-P"

/* snip */

So we start out with a marketing guy from Dell trying to sell
something.

This post was quickly responded to in a manner that suggests we really
have a new buzz-word -- IPS (Intrusion Prevention System) -- that will
imminently replace IDS's (Intrusion Detection System):