Snort mailing list archives

Re: tippingpoint]

From: Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 09:08:15 -0500

On Fri, 2003-10-17 at 01:52, John Sage wrote:

And what do you do about traffic that represents unknown exploits?
[...]
You seem very well prepared to protect yourself against the known...

Sorry guys, I don't want to budge into the middle of this. But I do have
to remind everyone that Snort is not the Silver Bullet. Generally
speaking, you can not *protect* yourself from unknown exploits. However,
you can *detect* intrusions using unknown exploits.

Snort is primarily and Intrusion Detection System, and as such *can*
alert you on intrusions. Not with the stock signatures, but with your
custom rules that you created for your network.

Snort is just a tool. How you use it is up to you.

I do agree though that Stacheldraht is kinda old. In addition, I've seen
false positives with that sig, so I wouldn't rely on it for IPS type
stuff or blocking.

Cheers,
Frank