Snort mailing list archives

Snort 2.0.2 install location

From: "Derek Fairley" <dfairley () telus net>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 01:11:22 -0700

I am working through the "Snort 2.0: Intrusion Detection" book and have a
question regarding installing Snort. I downloaded the newest version
(snort-2.0.2.tar.gz), copied this file to /tmp, typed tar -zxvf
snort-2.0.2.tar.gz, and then in the new snort-2.0.2 directory I issued the
./configure, make, make install commands.

Everything seems to have gone according to plan and I tested it by running
"snort -v" (just to check some kind of normal output). The book suggests now
looking at the "snort.conf" file, located at /etc/snort. I do not see a
directory called snort within /etc. I searched my system (RH8) for the
snort.conf file and the results show it located at /tmp/snort-2.0.2/etc. Is
this normal? I am used to Windows where most applications install to a
common directory. To me, a temporary directory is meant to be volatile. I'm
trying to get my head wrapped around where things are likely to get
installed to.

Thanks,
Derek