Snort mailing list archives

Re: FW: Beginner Help...

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 12:49:27 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Stevo wrote:

I'm using root as the snort db user.  I know this probably isn't the best,
but I still don't get any data.  I shouldn't have to modify any permissions
if I'm using the root user right??

Well, it depends on the permissions for that user.  The root user isn't
quite like the Unix root user.  It doesn't have defaulted access.  The
access must be set for any user.

When you setup the user(s) did you give them the correct permissions?
What perms does your root and snortdb user have?  Can you login to the db
by using the commandline mysql?

        mysql -h <host> -u snortdb (or root) -p

If you can't connect, then you may need to look into connectivity and
permissions.

Remember 'snortdb' and 'snortdb@<host>' and 'snortdb@localhost' are all
different users.  If you created it one way (username@host) then thats
what you have to have in the db output plugin config.

Hope that helps!

-----
Erek Adams