Snort mailing list archives

Re: How to upgrade from Snort 1.9.1 to 2.0.1 Please....

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 07:32:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, Snortty wrote:

Thanks for the prompt reply.
Still, not so sure yet about the upgrading steps.

I tried (without touching existing working snort
1.9.0)

# gzip -d -c snort-2.0.1.tar.gz |tar xvf -
# cd snort-2.0.1
#./configure
#make
error reported:
r cru libspo.a spo_alert_fast.o spo_alert_full.o
spo_alert_smb.o spo_alert_syslog.o
spo_alert_unixsock.o spo_csv.o spo_database.o
spo_log_null.o spo_log_tcpdump.o spo_unified.o
spo_log_ascii.o spo_alert_sf_socket.o
make[3]: ar: Command not found

You've got a problem here.  You need to make sure that /usr/ccs/bin is in
your path.  I usually place it last, with /usr/local/bin and
/usr/local/sbin near the front of the path.  Make sure you 'rehash' or
'hash' (depends on your shell) to reread programs along the path.

[...snip...]

then.
#make install

Then,
#snort -V
still shows Snort Version 1.9.0 is running...

Right.  Because of the error from above, you never actually got 2.0.1
built.  It bailed out on you.

Do I need to remove/uninstall the existing 1.9.0
before install
2.0.1? and HOW to uninstall snort if needed in the
right way?

There's not really anything to uninstall.  You copy the 2.x binary over
the 1.x, backup your snort.conf, copy the 2.x snort.conf over the 1.9
snort.conf, copy *.rules *.config *.map over the old versions, go back and
edit your 2.0 Snort.conf to match any specific changes that you had made
to the 1.9.x version (HOME_NET, EXTERNAL_NET, etc...).

After that, you should be in buisness!

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams