Snort mailing list archives

RE: Anyone using "Enterprise implementation"?

From: "Schmehl, Paul L" <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 07:45:45 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Haar [mailto:Jason.Haar () trimble co nz]
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2003 11:18 PM
To: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Anyone using "Enterprise implementation"?

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 05:26:57PM +0200, Tom Van Overbeke wrote:
If you're getting that much of info in only 8 hours, i suggest you
finetune your snort config first. there can't possibly be
that much of
interesting information in such a short timeframe.

Well yeah he does have a problem - but I'd still like to hear
from others running large MySQL databases. Pretend for a
moment that's a years worth of data. Just what can you do to
improve performance? (I'd like to know - I'm no SQL person,
and I'm getting complaints about the performance of our <1M
record ACID installs)

You do what I'm doing.  You archive everything older than seven days.
We also got one of our programmers to write a small php page that gives
us a quick snapshot of the last hour's worth of data.  Acid is simply
not going to give you performance with over 1 million hits.  Even a half
million is pushing it.

Or try out Bamm's "squil".  I haven't done it yet (but plan to), so I
can't tell you how well it performs on large dbs.  I *can* tell you that
our php page still loads with a 15,000,000 event db (but not fast) while
ACID just gives up the ghost.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas