Snort mailing list archives

Snort beginner

From: henrique de lima arabe - PDBL/uoi <hlima () pbh gov br>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 11:42:40 -0300

 Hi,  Im doing an intership at a brazilian state company.  Our servers have been attacked several times, so we decided
do to some testing with
Snort. I've been reading the availables manuals in the Web and
understood its commands, nonetheless I'm rather lost dealing with an
IDS.
I don't know how to set up Snort to work as an IDS for my
networking. Besides the commands, what files related to Snort do I
have to alter to have this program working well for my networking (as
an IDS)? What do I have to know about my networking to set these
files Snort use good for my netwokirng?
 Where can I find examples of Snort rules and config files on the WEB???

Thanks in advance

Henrique de Lima