Snort mailing list archives

Re: Home-made ethernet TAP

From: Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 04:41:18 +0000

On Tue, 2003-08-19 at 03:16, Scot Scot wrote:
You're splitting your transmit signals and changing the Z (actual
electrical
resistance ) of the circuit when you "tap" without shore-power.

In addition to changing the resistance/impedance of the lines, there are
also echo effect to consider. If you add a cable into the middle of
another cable, you got three ends. One can only imagine what the
frequency dynamic will look like. I'm sure that would be some funky
ghosting of signals on the wire. Then again, I'm a digital guy, not an
analog expert :)

Cheers,
Frank