Snort mailing list archives

Re: Home-made ethernet TAP

From: Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 03:28:33 +0000

On Tue, 2003-08-19 at 02:59, Nicholas Bachmann wrote:
[...] The drawback is
that you would need to combine the traffic flow. Using two NICs like you
have would work, using a buffered switch might be another approach. A

But if you use a swich, wouldn't the packets not be forwarded, since the
L2 forwarding table of the switch wouldn't have the sensor's MAC, and
the sensor wouldn't respond to an ARP request?

Good catch. Yeah, I think I was having 'span port' in my mind. A cheap
Linksys switch wouldn't be able to aggregate the packets, afaik. A
switch with monitor/span port would be necessary for the reason you cite
(actually, the reason is that the packets aren't even directed at the
sensor, so the switch has no reason to pass it on to sensor. But that's
what you mean I think).

Thanks,
Frank