Snort mailing list archives

RE: Still Help Needed: i want to make a firewall

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 12:34:53 -0500

--On Thursday, April 17, 2003 10:00:35 AM -0700 Michael Steele <michaels () silicondefense com> wrote:

Robert,

Server 2003 is SO much more secure by default. By default, using IE you
can't even hit a website without adding it to your trusted sites.

This is a *horrible* "solution". How does this improve security? First of all, it makes the browser essentially useless and will encourage moving to other browsers. Secondly it encourages diehard IE users to simply trust everything. It not only doesn't solve a security problem, it creates one.

You don't solve poor programming practices by denying access. You solve them by teaching secure programming practices.

I can't say that I'm surprised, since Microsoft continues to prove that they have no comprehension of true security practices. (And before someone kneejerks and calls me a *nix bigot, I am and have always been a Microsoft-centric IT person. I'm just not a blinded Microsoft-centric professional. Which perhaps explains why I'm using Unix more and more these days.)

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member