Snort mailing list archives

RE: Still Help Needed: i want to make a firewall

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 21:33:09 -0400

At 05:28 PM 4/16/2003 -0700, Michael Steele wrote:
Bottom line is to use what you're comfortable with. Snort CAN be installed
securely on either platform (Windows or *nix).

Agreed whole heartedly. Although properly securing a windows box is just as complex a problem as properly securing a unix server, it's not impossible. The only degree to which it is worse is the absolutely horrid history of exploits to IIS (not that Apache is any better).

I certainly would question the wisdom of running snort on a NT box that sits outside your firewall and runs IIS on the external interface. But I'd also question the wisdom of doing the same thing with a Linux box running Apache, bind, ssh, or sendmail on the external interface. Anyone doing either of these setups is just _asking_ to be exploited in the worst possible way.

Although all of this this OS difference banter still doesn't address his original problem, which was needing a firewall. Snort just isn't a replacement for one, no matter what platform you run it on.