Snort mailing list archives

Re: UPDATE eth1 without an IP = no worky

From: James Lay <slave_tothe_box () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 06:49:07 -0600

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 14:26:01 -0500
"Jason Whitson" <jason () visionxtreme net> wrote:

"What is your specific error?"
- Unable to activate eth1. This is using the RH's network config screen.
- I use ifconfig eth1 up and don't get any output, so I assume it's up

I can get snort to run on the command line with:  snort -b -A fast -c
snort.conf
with snort.conf having this line: var HOME_NET 172.16.0.0/32 (I am testing
inside with a hub between 2 active switches)

It just shows a screen on the console with no more output after loading.
Should the ACID console be showing data?

Also I have the snortd file to start snort upon boot but it never works.
Even after changing eth0 to eth1. Ideas?

I've been working on this all day, maybe I need to step away ... but I am
not getting anywhere.

Jason Whitson
VisionXtreme Computers
www.visionxtreme.net
Jason,

Ok..wow...first off, if you're running snort in IDS mode, you'll want to add -D for daemon mode.  My rc.snort file has:
/usr/local/bin/snort -q -i eth1 -D -o -c /etc/snort/snort.conf

You won't see anything in the console...  If you're NOT running wanting to run in daemon mode then add the -v switch to
see what's going on...I use that when using snort to sniff an active connection.

Second, in RedHat you'll need to muck with the SysV stuff, or add the above line or your own to rc.local to start on
boot.

Third, make sure your snort.conf has the output database line uncommented.  I use both ACID and syslog for my setup
here.  Hope this helps.

James