Snort mailing list archives

Re: Only *nix alerts?

From: Keg <snrtlst () netscape net>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 10:55:31 -0400

I should have mentioned that, sorry:
1. Snort is configured as monitoring port on the switch, and the hosts that I scan mirror traffic to monitoring port. So this is not the case. No auto-sense hub is used. 2. If do a vulnerability scan from the nessus box that has no restrictions regarding the traffic - it is unrestricted on the firewall level, so 3-way handshake should be established each time nessus tries some vuln script. 3. You say 'if a three way handshake isn't established it won't alert' - does that actually mean that scans and vulnerability testing prformed from spoofed address will not produce alerts?

Thank you.