Snort mailing list archives

Re: $HOME_NET

From: Keg <snrtlst () netscape net>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 10:47:17 -0400

1. OK, let me get it straight. If my $HOME_NET is set to 192.168.199.0/24 and my nessus scanner is 192.168.199.20. When I scan the segment from nessus box I don't scan for ports at all, I scan only for vulnerabilities.Shouldn't the rules be triggered in this case? 2. When I scan 192.168.199.0 from the nessus box, and DO USE PORTSCAN, whould it be correct to say that IN THIS CASE NO ALERTS WILL BE GENERATED BY THE RULES, but some will be generated by pre-processors. Is that correct?
Thanks a lot.