Snort mailing list archives

Re: How do keep update my rules in Snort 2.0 over Windows 2000?

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 02:01:31 -0400 (EDT)

I didn't respond to the original question for various reasons, but I feel
as though I have to respond to this one.

Theres quite a few reasons that doing this can be a _very_ bad thing.  I
won't go into details since they have been discussed here many times.  If
you're curious, please check the archives for 'auto update rules' [0] to
see various discussions.  I will mention some reason:

        *  Fault tolerance
        *  Bad rules
        *  Tuned ruleset