Snort mailing list archives

Re: IP Header Data Type Preference

From: "Paul B. Poh" <paul () paulpoh com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 17:12:13 -0400

I personally prefer to use an INT. It's a tiny bit more efficient as far as disk usage. And it's allow a bit more efficient to index and sort on.

In general, I believe it's better practice to store the actual data type.

The dotted notation is simply a human-convinience of the actual 32bit ip address. For example, 192.165.5.50 is actually the four octets that translate to C0:A8:05:32 and C0A80532 is hex for 3232236850 (the decimal representation).

This link contains a nice simple useful ip address converter for the math impaired :-)

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/sparkman/netcalc.htm

Paul.

David Markle wrote:
I need some advice on IP Header Data types with a database, say MySQL.  The
MySQL snort database defines IP address information as INT (integer) (i.e.
ip_src/ip_dst in the iphdr table).  Is there a computational benefit to this
within the database or does it really matter.

For example, I could define ip_src (source IP Address) as CHAR(15) rather
than INT.  This would preserve the quad dotted notation in the address.  The
INT definition does not preserve this.  I guess this is my problem.  If the
field does not preserve the dotted notation, how is it addressed in
processing ???   Short uses INT field definitions for ip_src and ip_dst in
the iphdr table.  How is it ultimately references as xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx after
its placed into the database ???

Thanks in advance.

dm