Snort mailing list archives

IP Header Data Type Preference

From: David Markle <davidmarkle () comcast net>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 15:32:24 -0400

I need some advice on IP Header Data types with a database, say MySQL.  The
MySQL snort database defines IP address information as INT (integer) (i.e.
ip_src/ip_dst in the iphdr table).  Is there a computational benefit to this
within the database or does it really matter.

For example, I could define ip_src (source IP Address) as CHAR(15) rather
than INT.  This would preserve the quad dotted notation in the address.  The
INT definition does not preserve this.  I guess this is my problem.  If the
field does not preserve the dotted notation, how is it addressed in
processing ???   Short uses INT field definitions for ip_src and ip_dst in
the iphdr table.  How is it ultimately references as xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx after
its placed into the database ???

Thanks in advance.

dm