Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort sensor on a Firewall

From: "Rafeeq Rehman" <rafeeq.rehman () dedicatedtech com>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 14:43:51 -0400

Yes

  _____

From: snort-users-admin () lists sourceforge net
[mailto:snort-users-admin () lists sourceforge net] On Behalf Of sireesha
gaddipati
Sent: Monday, May 05, 2003 2:19 PM
To: Michael Steele
Cc: snort-users () lists sourceforge net

Hi,

I actually want to place snort sensor on the same machine as firewall. My
firewall has two interfaces one of which is connected to internet and other
to the internal network. If I place two snort sensors one on each of those
interfaces will that work same as snort sensors before and after the
firewall (before and after in the sense on separate linux boxes)

Thanks.

Sireeha

Michael Steele <mes () go2dds com> wrote:

Sireesha,

In short:

Placing Snort on the far side of the firewall will allow Snort to monitor
all traffic.

Placing Snort on the near side of the firewall will allow Snort to detect on
everything that gets past the firewall.

 -Michael