Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort sensor on a Firewall

From: sireesha gaddipati <g_siri_g () yahoo co in>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 19:19:29 +0100 (BST)

Hi, I actually want to place snort sensor on the same machine as firewall. My firewall has two interfaces one of which
is connected to internet and other to the internal network. If I place two snort sensors one on each of those
interfaces will that work same as snort sensors before and after the firewall (before and after in the sense on
separate linux boxes) Thanks.Sireeha

Michael Steele <mes () go2dds com> wrote:
Sireesha,

In short:

Placing Snort on the far side of the firewall will allow Snort to monitor all traffic.

Placing Snort on the near side of the firewall will allow Snort to detect on everything that gets past the firewall.

 -Michael