Snort mailing list archives

Re: IDS Topology

From: Saad Kadhi <saad () docisland org>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 07:48:07 +0100

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 10:29:53PM -0600, Demetri Mouratis wrote:
Your best bet is to find a dedicated machine for the sensor.  If that's
not possible, you can just install all the components on one machine.
Several pitfalls with that approach:

- running additional servers on the sensor makes in inherently more
vulnerable
...unless  the  additional  services  are  conveniently  configured  and
secured:
  - apache with less privileges[1], listening on localhost only[2]
  - mysql with less privileges
  - services only reachable from  the  internal,  non-sniffing,  network
    card
  - ...

- database, snort, apache, ..., all competing for same system resources
barnyard + os tuning may help in this regard. but I agree that  this  is
the biggest issue imho with this kind of setup.

- no steath logging ability
why? an all-component machine doesn't necessarily imply  a  single  NIC.
you can always throw two cards at the task and  use  one  for  detection
while  hooking  the  other  to  a  secure  administration  network.  the
detection/sniffing card would be setup so that it  doesn't  have  an  IP
address.

Read some of the ACID documentation for more reasons.
in which file(s)?

on the website, the only file I found  that  say  something  about  this
subject[3]  is  http://acidlab.sourceforge.net/acid_faq.html  and   even
there, there is little information:

  <quote>
  * When possible, run the sensor (Snort), database, and web  server  on
    separate machines.
  </quote>

cheers.
--
[1] apache runs by default as an unprivileged user/group  on  many  *nix
    platforms. openbsd goes to the extent of chroot()-ing it by  default