Snort mailing list archives

Re: how to use expressions on a stealth interface

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 17:40:48 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003, Thomas Uczekaj wrote:

I have setup an interface in stealth mode (no IP assigned to the
interface, the switch port has been setup to do spanning so I can see
all traffic on the subnet).  When I run snort in sniffer mode (snort -i
intf1 -ve net 10.67.2.0/24), the expression syntax to filter the data
does not work.  It doesn't seem to recognize any of the data as normal
IP.  However, when I run it without any expressions (snort -i intf1
-ve), statistics report back about pct's for TCP/UDP/.....etc).

Similarly, tcpdump cannot use expressions to filter the data.  Does
anyone have an idea of using either of these tools to make this happen?

It works for me with both Snort and tcpdump.  I have the feeling your
troubles are coming from your shell and not from the programs.

Try:

        snort <options> 'net 10.67.2.0/24'

And see what you get.  :)

Cheers!