Snort mailing list archives

how to use expressions on a stealth interface

From: Thomas Uczekaj <tuczek01 () freight fedex com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 14:28:46 -0700

Hi -

I have setup an interface in stealth mode (no IP assigned to the interface, the switch port has been setup to do
spanning so I can see all traffic on the subnet).  When I run snort in sniffer mode (snort -i intf1 -ve net
10.67.2.0/24), the expression syntax to filter the data does not work.  It doesn't seem to recognize any of the data as
normal IP.  However, when I run it without any expressions (snort -i intf1 -ve), statistics report back about pct's for
TCP/UDP/.....etc).

Similarly, tcpdump cannot use expressions to filter the data.  Does anyone have an idea of using either of these tools
to make this happen?

--
Thomas Uczekaj         -  (602) 685-3532
FedEx Freight System   -  Information Security

This message contains information that is confidential
and proprietary to FedEx Freight or its affiliates.
It is intended only for the recipient named and for
the express purpose(s) described therein.
Any other use is prohibited.