Snort mailing list archives

RE: Error opening adapter

From: "L. Christopher Luther" <CLuther () Xybernaut com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 14:29:40 -0500

Snort, prior to v1.8.7, used older versions of WinPCap (e.g., 2.02), which
has a different set of files that the newer WinPCap distros.  The files
installed by these older versions of WinPCap are:

    packet.dll
    packet.sys

WinPCap 2.3 has different files, which are used by the newer versions of
Snort.  WinPCap 2.3 installs the following files:

    npf.sys
    packet.dll
    wpcap.dll

If you're really using Snort 1.7, then you're using a version of WinPCap
that is too "new" for Snort.  Try a newer version of Snort (e.g., 1.8.7 or
1.9.0) or an older version of WinPCap (e.g., 2.02).

Cheers!

Christopher