Snort mailing list archives

Re: Re: snort 1.9.1 with redhat 8.0 and libnet 1.0.2.a

From: Jeff Nathan <jeff () snort org>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 11:53:26 -0800

Hi Jason,

Due to a large contingent of users attempting to compile Snort with
flexresp with an incorrect version of libnet (HINT: the documentation
specifies that ONLY libnet-1.0.2a is compatible with Snort) configure.in
was changed to be very picky when a user supplies the --enable-flexresp
configure option.  It's not broken, it's actually very resilient.  The
reason Snort accepts --with-libpcap-libraries=/usr is that your linux
system has a cache of shared objects.  When Snort is compiled it resolves
symbols within shared objects using the cache and actually disregards the
- --with-libpcap-libraries configure option.  To properly specify where your
libpcap library is you would instead use --with-libpcap-libraries=/usr/lib.

As I've mentioned in the archives of this list very recently, many
operating systems ship a broken version of libnet-config.  To compensate
for this, Snort will automatically attempt to find libnet.  However, if you
still wish to tell Snort where to find libnet libraries and includes, the
proper way to do so is to specify the include and lib directory and not
just /usr: --with-libnet-includes=/usr/include and
- --with-libnet-libraries=/usr/lib.

- -Jeff

- --On Saturday, March 08, 2003 18:52:22 -0500 Jason Romo