Snort mailing list archives

Re: Stopping portscanning

From: Max Lopez <mlopez () itesm mx>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 12:23:38 -0600

Ok.. actually we have a NAT, but as we are not using "Cisco Overload" nat , so
every host has a "public" address (although this public address changes from
time to time), not as a traditional "proxy" in wich all internal IP address
goes to the Internet as just one IP referenced by the port number.

In this case every host has a nat translation that last for 10 minutes, and as
long as the host has traffic the translation time extends, so a port scanning
to an active nat translation is succesfull since the nat is mantained by the
scanning itself.

Well, seems like we need a Stateful inspection system, but as we have about
20,000 hosts this gets dificult to deploy.

Thanks a lot.