Snort mailing list archives

Re: SMB alerts doesn't work.

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 11:41:05 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003, Jimmy Hernandez wrote:

I am currently using snort 1.9.0 on OpenBSD 3.2. I am having a problem
with the smbalerts. I checked the snort configure file and it have the
plug in for smbalerts. I also ran it specifying the switch ./configure
--enable-smbalerts then make and make install all looks good but when I
try to run snort -c snort.conf -b -M workstation   I keep getting the
Error : "SMB support not compiled into program, exiting...   Fatal
Error, Quitting..

When ./configure runs do you see anything in regards to SMB in the output?
It's just a switch that's setup via configure.

You also might want to change the order of your switches around, just for
funsies.  Try it as 'snort -M workstation -b -c snort.conf' and see if
that would work.

I can't find any whitepapers that would help me fix that. I am using
SAMBA 2.2.7 and snort 1.9.0 do you think I should downgrade snort to
1.8.0? Is anyone else having this problem?

Please _don't_ downgrade.  If anything, _upgrade_ to 1.9.1, or turn off
the rpc_decode processor.  If you've not heard (as in living under a
rock...  :-), there is a security hole in it.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams