Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort tcp session reassembly

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 11:48:51 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003, gupta_sonali wrote:

I am using snort 1.8.7 to log packets from a TCP dump. In the conf file
I specify the following rule : log tcp any any &lt;&gt; any any
(session: binary;). This is placing all packets with the same source and
destination port combination into a single file, but the packets are in
the order in which they were captured, which is not the actual sequence
of packets.

Right.

 Is there any way to make snort arrange the packets in proper sequence
 based on their TCP sequence nos. as "Follow TCP Stream" in Ethereal
 does, so that the packets are oibtained in the proper order in which
 they should be, not in the order in which they arrived.

P.S. I tried stream4 preprocessor, but that did not work for this

Stream4 won't work for a replayed tcpdump file.  For that to really work,
you would be better off to use tcpreplay [0] and then snort the streams.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams

[0]     http://tcpreplay.sourceforge.net/