Snort mailing list archives

Re: Catchall Rule

From: Kenton Smith <ksmith () chartwelltechnology com>
Date: 06 Feb 2003 10:03:28 -0700

I may be missing something here, but isn't ICMP traffic IP traffic? Or
are you just suggesting this so that you can see the type of IP traffic
that it is?

Kenton Smith

On Thu, 2003-02-06 at 09:11,erek () snort org wrote:

On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Gary Hill wrote:

I take it this rule wont capture non-tcp/udp/icmp traffic such as IPSEC!

Can you create a rule that looks at all IP traffic, rather then each
protocol on the top of it

Sure.

log ip any any -> $HOME_NET any;

But traffic isn't always ip traffic....

log icmp any any -> $HOME_NET any;
log arp any any -> $HOME_NET any;

(Ok, the last one is silly, but he said "all traffic". :)

From what I'm getting, you want to snarf all the frames on the wire, then
shove that into a DB.  If you do, be _sure_ to have acres of disk, and one
helluva machine for the DB.  You might get better performance using
Barnyard to spool the files.  If realtime isn't an issue, you might be
better off with tcpdump and then using Snort to post process.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams