Snort mailing list archives

Snort ain't logging anything...

From: "Mam Ruoc" <mamruoc () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 11:54:55 +0100

Greetings snort-experts

First off all, I'm a newbie, please be patient with me....

I got some problem after upgrading to Snort 1.9.0. I've been configuring snort.conf a dozen times, I've set Iptables to accept everything (droppped using IPTables), 'cause I thought packets might been filtered before Snort. Nothing helped...

Then I found that my eth0 wasn't in promiscuous mode, so I'd manually add it to startup... Somebody said that's the problem, 'cause Snort couldn't retrieve data without the NIC beeing in promiscuous mode (is that right)That didn't help either...

Can somebody please tell what I can do to detect what's wrong?? I've used programs like nmap and sneeze (which tests rulesets by sending bogus packets), the only thing I've got back is: 'snort: (spp_arpspoof) Ethernet/ARP Mismatch request for Destination' in my syslog.

My system is:

Snort version 1.9.0 (Build 209) (supporting mysql)