Snort mailing list archives

Re: alert file

From: Zachary Uram <yoda () orion netrek org>
Date: 24 Oct 2002 09:54:56 -0400

On Thu, 2002-10-24 at 02:58, Alberto Gonzalez wrote:
Ok, not to be harsh, but you SOUND really new.

Hi Alberto,

Well I am really new to this :)

1. Learn everything you can about snort, its functions, option and plugins
        - I recommend reading the Snort Users Manual[1]

Ok.

2. Familarize yourself with TCP/IP
        - I recommend reading "TCP/IP Illustrated Vol 1" By R. Stevens

Will check ebay for this.

3. If snort gives you an alert, it also gives you a "reference", go read
about that specific attack.

Will do.

4. Use google. (this is your best friend).

Heh.

And to your question, access_log is pertaining to apache. I suggest also
reading about what your using. Looks to me
your just running default installs of things.

Yah some things are pretty much default installs.

I see you mentioned debian, im almost positive you used its package
system. Try grabbing the lastest stable[2]

I am running the latest Debian unstable release.

or grabbing it via snapshots/ directory. Rolling Your Own is the best
method for a new snort user.

Ok. Hope it will compile ok :)

And read my signature(below) and apply that to _EVERYTHING_ ;-)

Heh.

Zach