Snort mailing list archives

Re: alert file

From: Zachary Uram <yoda () orion netrek org>
Date: 23 Oct 2002 23:15:15 -0400

On Thu, 2002-10-24 at 01:52, Alberto Gonzalez wrote:

Actually, you should be concerned on _ALL_ alerts (for the first few
days/weeks) until
you establish whats false (if any?) or whats truly alerts/attacks. When
I first started, I would
research what snort gave me alerts on, learn about the attack, and to
see if I was vulnerable.
This has helped me greatly in my journey.

Hi Alberto,

Ok. So I will be paranoid.

These really get annoying(poor access_log), I personally (and mine is
unix based) don't care about any IIS
attacks aimed at my network. I could careless what IIS junk they throw
at me. You should customize your
RULESET to pertain to your network(running services, users, etc..)  No
need to run IIS rules if your using
Apache(same goes for other stuff as well).

I am also *nix based (Debian Linux flavor) and I do run Apache as my
webserver. access_log is a snort function?

[**] [1:618:1] INFO - Possible Squid Scan [**]
[Classification: Attempted Information Leak] [Priority: 2]
06/02-01:04:42.391610 66.140.25.157:41324 -> 209.114.157.102:3128
TCP TTL:50 TOS:0x0 ID:38290 IpLen:20 DgmLen:60 DF
******S* Seq: 0xB12412FE  Ack: 0x0  Win: 0x16D0  TcpLen: 40
TCP Options (5) => MSS: 1460 SackOK TS: 254576492 0 NOP WS: 0

I've seen Squid scan attempts when nmap[1] is ran at your network. Just
someone
doing some information gathering on your subnet. I could be wrong, just
trying to give you
a general idea.

Ok. In the above example could you explain exactly what all the
values/data mean? Is there a nice snort html/pdf/ps manual which
explicitly explains all this?

Just spp_portscan letting you know whats up :-)

spp_portscan is another snort function?

Can't say I've seen this before, then again,  I have everything
pertaining to windows
turned off.. no need for 'noise'.

Yah I'd like to do that also.

Hope it Helps

Thanks! BTW, does one only need to run 1 IDS system? Since I am running
snort is that all I need? What about firewalling? How to let snort know
about my firewall rules? I suspect snort may be logging some legitmate
services I am running: tcpspy, tcplogd, portsentry, icmplogd, ippl,
scandetd, tinyproxy. Should I consider removing some of these now that I
am running snort? (i.e. don't muddy the waters)

Zach

Zach