Snort mailing list archives

RE: To TAP or HUB?

From: Shane Hickey <shane () howsyournetwork com>
Date: 19 Dec 2002 12:42:22 -0700

On Thu, 2002-12-19 at 11:51, Madziarczyk, Jonathan wrote:
From my understanding....

Since you're only monitoring between the cable modem and the firewall,
putting a hub in between the two is almost the exact same thing as
putting a tap between.

Just about.  Only, with a hub you've introduced another point of
failure.  Most decent taps will bypass on power failure.  That said, I
haven't been able to justify buying a tap for the house.  I wish I had
jumped quicker on that auction I saw for 6 shomiti century taps for
$300.

Shane