Snort mailing list archives

RE: To TAP or HUB?

From: "Madziarczyk, Jonathan" <than () cityofevanston org>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 12:51:40 -0600

From my understanding....

Since you're only monitoring between the cable modem and the firewall,
putting a hub in between the two is almost the exact same thing as
putting a tap between. As for the hacker...the only way that I can think
of for him to be able to access your IDS box would be to come through
your firewall and access the internal nic.  No one should be able to
even detect that you have the unassigned nic sitting outside the
firewall listening.  If you were doing flexresp or something like that I
guess its conceivable that someone could figure out that you have an
IDS.

Hope that helps, I'm sure someone will correct me if I missed/messed
something.

JonM