Snort mailing list archives

WebDAV

From: Yaakov Yehudi <yehudi () tehila gov il>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 15:21:29 +0200

Thanks for your reply Jason.

I found that IE 5 & 6 don't seem to cause MS Office to start up, they just display the content in the browser. However earlier versions of IE, Netscape, and probably some other browsers, do cause the document to open in Office.

I appreciate your help.

Regards, Yaakov (a kiwi who flew the nest)

You said...
On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 10:42:19AM +0200, Yaakov Yehudi wrote:

> Can anyone tell me if the WebDAV file lock alert can be triggered by
> anything other than an intentional attempt to lock a file for editing etc.

Yup. Happens all the time.

It has been the cause of no-end of helpdesk reports to our IS staff over the
years.

As usual it's to do with M$ IE talking to Web servers. Due to "integration"
between IE and M$ Office, IE tends to change how it talks to Web servers
when it:

a> notices the URL you are downloading is an M$ Office doc
b> time of the month

At that stage, IE decides to see if it can *EDIT* the document from afar. It
will try an assortment of methods, including FrontPage (see: sid:968,1288
and the other 30+ alerts) and WebDAV. It tries to lock the file to see if
WebDAV is supported. Typically this fails, at which stage IE fails-back to
standard behaviour (good), or gives some damn weird error to the user (hense
the calls to our IS helpdesk.)

Microsoft: need I say more?