Snort mailing list archives

Re: FreeBSD or NetBSD for a sensor

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 14:33:49 -0400

The speed of the TCP/IP stack won't matter for snort, since snort is a pcap level system. It will matter if you do remote logging via tcp/ip (ie: via sql or redirected syslog), but for a simple local-logging snort box, it won't make a bit of difference.

From the viewpoint of snort itself all three of these OS's should be pretty close to the same for speed of picking up packets off the wire. It might be interesting to test, but my bets would be the overall performance differences between these three would be minor and mostly the result of slightly different disk IO handling.

Personally I run snort on OpenBSD, since a high degree of intrusion resistance is a necessity for the snort setup I'm running. For an "inside the firewall" snort box this is a lot less of an issue.