Snort mailing list archives

RE: Acid and Mysql with Snort

From: "Hutchinson, Andrew" <Andrew.Hutchinson () Vanderbilt edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 08:25:10 -0500

Two things for you to check from the ACID faq:

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/~rdanyliw/snort/acid_faq.html#faq_b9

(B-10) MySQL optimizations

1. Compact the tables
After numerous delete operations, "holes" will occur in the native files
used to store the tables decreasing the speed of the all queries. The
following shell script will examine all the MySQL tables and compact
them.
for table in `echo show tables|mysql snort|tail +2`
do
   echo optimize  table $table|mysql snort
done

2. Creating indexes
Some of the required indexes are not created in initial MySQL creation
script. The following indexes can be added to significantly improve
performance:
tcphdr.tcp_sport
tcphdr.tcp_dport
acid_ag_alert.ag_sid + acid_ag_alert.ag_cid

Based on what you're seeing, I would suspect that adding the indices
listed in step 2 is the key for you. MySQL is plenty fast - you just
need to have the proper indexing set up.  If you need a good MySQL
reference, pick up a copy of Paul DuBois' book, which is currently the
bible for MySQL.  O'Reilly also recently released a reference by Monty
and the MySQL AB team, but I haven't read it yet and thus cannot
comment.

Hope this helps,

Andrew

Andrew Hutchinson