Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort behaviour graphic.

From: Chris Green <cmg () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 18:13:20 -0400

Emilio Mira <emial () alumni uv es> writes:

Hi Chris,

My stream4 and frag2 configurations are by default in 1.8.7:

preprocessor stream4: detect_scans, disable_evasion_alerts
preprocessor frag2

There are about 10,000 hosts in my network, and the kind of traffic ...
ummm ... I'm monitorizing an University, so HTTP, FTP, p2p I think.

Yeah, I think you need to increase your stream4 memcap to 16777216
atleast..

I'd be interested in another graphic representating that again.

And, what did you mean with "I wouldn't be suprised if those times are
when you are hitting a forced session prune."

Oh, when the state table for the conversation stuff gets full, it will
go though and expire old nodes that are being unused.  That can be a
fairly expensive operation ( and maybe one worth investigating further
).
--
Chris Green <cmg () sourcefire com>
A good pun is its own reword.