Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort behaviour graphic.

From: Chris Green <cmg () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 17:11:46 -0400

Emilio Mira <emial () alumni uv es> writes:

Hi all,

I've been doing tests with Snort and I got the graphic attached. We can
see traffic received in packets per second with blue line, Snort droped
pps with green line and Snort total VM size in kilobytes. X axe represents
time in hours (a little more than one week).

First, why droped packets are so different in between days with similar
traffic? (I get droped packets with a script that compares received
packets from the interface with Snort processed packets, from kill
-USR1).

Second, why Snort vsize is like this?. I thought it bears relation to
traffic received, but it doesn't.

What are your stream4 and frag2 configurations?   How many hosts are
you seeing on your network? Any idea on the type of traffic?

You might try running your statistics with a higher memcap.  I
wouldn't be suprised if those times are when you are hitting a forced
session prune.
--
Chris Green <cmg () sourcefire com>
To err is human, to moo bovine.