Snort mailing list archives

Re: How does Snort protect itself ?

From: "KD Rajkumar" <koderma () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 13:29:44 +0000

I think you misunderstood my question. I wasn't asking if one could use Snort to protect Snort.

From: twig les <twigles () yahoo com>
To: "Vinay A. Mahadik" <VAMahadik () lbl gov>, KD Rajkumar <koderma () hotmail com>
CC: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] How does Snort protect itself ?
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 20:42:47 -0700 (PDT)

I wouldn't use snort to protect the sensor.  On top of
what V. wrote, Snort protects *itself* by running as a
normal user with no shell, and by not using shoddy
programming (no buffer overflows on bugtraq :).

Using Snort to protect your sensor is like using the
back of a screwdriver as a hammer.  It would be a
better idea to do the traditional grunt work of
hardening the OS by pruning useless services, patching
it, and firewalling it.

--- "Vinay A. Mahadik" <VAMahadik () lbl gov> wrote:
> KD Rajkumar wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > How does Snort protect itself against attacks. If
> an attacker is trying
> > to take down the IDS itself, is Snort capable of
> detecting and thwarting
> > it ?
> >

> Briefly.. although perhaps not optimized for
> self-defense, there are
> mechanisms like 'memcap' (and consequent aggressive
> pruning, and random
> nuking of states), and 'timeout' for preprocessors
> like frag2, stream4.
> There's '-z est' defense against stick/snot attacks.
> For evasion
> attacks, there are dedicated preprocessors and
> preprocessor options, and
> some internal source code tweaks like the 1.9.x's
> pseudo-random
> FLUSH_POINTs in stream4. These are just pointers and
> not a complete
> list.. It would be good to have a separate
> discussion in the manual
> about these..
>
> --
> Vinay A. Mahadik