Snort mailing list archives

RE: Help with pass rule

From: francisv () dagupan com
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 08:23:04 +0800

Erek,

I have defined the following:

        var HOME_NET 192.168.0.0/22
        var SERVERS_NET 192.168.1.128/25
        var DIALUP_NET 192.168.1.0/25
        var EXTERNAL_NET !$HOME_NET

However, there are still things that are not clear to me. If I changed the
ordering of snort to pass->alert->log instead of alert->pass->log using
option "o", why do I still get alerts from scan proxy/socks alert even if I
allowed it to pass?

        pass tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET 8080
        pass tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET 3128
        pass tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET 1080

Is it a bug or a feature?