Snort mailing list archives

RE: ICMP Packets.

From: Rich Adamson <radamson () routers com>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 02:43:20 -0600

Anybody recognize this payload? It is part of an ICMP packet. I have
searched google and haven't found any reason why I would see this
data in an ICMP echo packet.
Awfull suspicous....

FF D8 FF FE 00 08 57 41 4E 47 32 02 FF E0 00 10   ......WANG2.....
4A 46 49 46 00 01 01 01 00 60 00 60 00 00 FF DB   JFIF.....`.`....
00 43 00 10 0B 0C 0E 0C 0A 10 0E 0D 0E 12 11 10   .C.............

   The JFIF is part of the header information in a JPEG image file.
  If somebody is really tunneling image files through an ICMP connection
  that is definitely not good (who knows what else is moving that way).

Another possibility is an application that is communicating license
data. The old Chameleon IP stack from NetManage.com use to do something
like that. They embeded their coded serial number in an icmp packet
and sent it to a broadcast address. All other copies of their software
listened for the coded icmp, and if the serial number matched, disabled
the software since it was an illegal copy.

Are the source and destination addresses within your network?