Snort mailing list archives

Re: installing acid on fbsd4.6 for meer mortals

From: Jim Burwell <jimb () broadvision com>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 13:26:34 -0700

Read carefully through all the docs for each package. Getting ACID to work is a lot of work, since it depends on many packages. You need a working Apache, a working PHP, a working GD (and the many libraries GD depends on), the ADODB package, and Phplot. This is a lot of stuff to configure.

I got this all working on Solaris 8. I used some binary packages from a trusted Sun freeware site (sunfreeware.com). The most problems I had was with PHP and the GD library. GD itself needs a bunch of packages and libraries to work also. It needs the libpng stuff, the libjpeg stuff (if you want jpeg), etc, etc. Read through the readme for GD. So you either need to get these and compile them also, or get some binary packages. PHP is the most difficult thing to get compiled correctly. The PHP package needs to be compiled with lots of "--with" flags for GD to work properly, otherwise it gets lots of run-time unresolved reference errors. Just using a "with" for GD isn't sufficient. I found that you also need to "with" each library which GD uses also, or PHP can't find the functions it needs. Here's the "configure" line I had to use to get PHP working:

./configure --with-mysql --with-apxs=/usr/apache/bin/apxs --with-gd --enable-sockets --with-jpeg-dir=/usr/local/lib --with-png-dir=/usr/local/lib --with-zlib-dir=/usr/local/lib --with-xpm-dir=/usr/local/lib

These 'with' statements basically had the effect of the Makefile including -L and -R statements for each library so that both the comiple and run time linkers could find all the functions it needed to find in the Apache module environment. Apache doesn't seem to consult the LD_LIBRARY_PATH when running a module (or PHP doesn't, or there's some config item that needed to be in the Apache conf files, or whatever. I didn't bother, just used the "withs"). This may not apply to Fbsd, but it was needed for Solaris.

Basically, you need to work from the bottom up. So you need to obtain/compile any libraries that GD needs and install them, and any libraries/packages those packages need. I was able to use binary packages for the libPNG, and libjpeg I used with GD, and I didn't bother w/ Freetype/TTF stuff, so I'm not sure if those libs need additional stuff (probably don't). Then once you get GD compiled properly and installed, compile PHP. Then make a PHP script that calls phpinfo() (this is referenced in the ACID install I believe) and carefully examine the page produced. Once satisfied PHP is working, then the 'foundation' is ready for the other stuff. Install PHplot and run a few of the tests. If they succeeed, then install ADODB and ACID, tweak the config files, and it should all work.

Also make sure you read the ACID FAQ on the web site. There's some stuff not in the ACID install guide that should probably be there. Namely the fact that the PHP "register_globals" option must be turned on in the php.ini file (it's off in the default PHP configurations).

It's a good days work if you're completely unfamiliar with PHP as I was :-). Good luck.

- Jim

pat wrote:

Does anybody known---- exactly----- how to do this or can anybody recommend
another mgr product that meer mortals can install. I have tried the doc on
snort...it can not possible be correct.... maybe in theory only but not in
practice. Something is missing from that doc. I can not get php4, gd2,
phplot to work with each other and I have not bother to go any further. I
have scoured the internet and it seems lots of people are have all sorts of
issues trying to get this installed and working. Does anybody have detailed
install instructions that do in deed work for 4.6 or 4.5 fbsd that they are
willing to share. Otherwise does anybody know of another mgr product that
dummies and meer mortals can install within there lifetime.

Thx

Acid is burning a hole in my brain