Snort mailing list archives

Re: RE: Rule content question.

From: Clint Byrum <cbyrum () spamaps org>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 13:47:58 -0700

On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 03:35:34PM -0400, larosa, vjay wrote:
<snip>
I seem to have a lot of happy packet generators on my network. No matter
what I tell these people they always
think they can some how get by me. I am finally giving up, I want to
change the following rule,

alert icmp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"ICMP Large ICMP
Packet";
dsize: >800; reference:arachnids,246; classtype:bad-unknown; sid:499;
rev:3;)

to ignore any ICMP packet that has a payload of all 00's. I am trying to
figure out how I can mangle

You *could* use a pass rule before this one to allow specific harmless
all-zero pings through.

I'd say though, that this can probably be tuned out. Is this type of
traffic really so telling of an "intrusion" ?