Snort mailing list archives

Re: difference between the capability of snort and a dynamic firewall!??!?!!?

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 10:30:03 -0400

Firewalls are intended to block traffic, and log events.

Intrusion detection systems are intended to have an extensive database of intrusion signatures and log the attempts so you can use them to improve your firewall rules, and as forenzic information when a successful intrusion occurs.

Intrusion detection systems are *NOT* intended to be a first-line-of-defense against network intrusion, merely analysis of them. A carefuly planed out firewall ruleset is infinitely better than any dynamic ruleset that snort can wind up creating via tools like hogwash, but tools like hogwash make a great second-line for cases where the firewall fails to prevent an attack.

Picture a firewall as a lock, and snort as an alarm system.. If the alarm goes off you can have it activate locks in the building, and call the police, but locking your door in the first place is a better idea. The alarm is there for when the lock fails and is not a first-line of defense.