Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort Setup Suggestions? *NEWBIE QUESTION*

From: "McCammon, Keith" <Keith.McCammon () eadvancemed com>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 15:19:55 -0400

Some suggestions...

There should be two network interfaces: One for the sensor, and one for management.  The sensor interface will run
un-addressed, so you don't have to worry about folks on the Internet firing exploits at that interface.  The one on the
LAN/WAN should be addressed, privately if possible.  However, being a college environment, that may not be possible, so
you'll want to use IPSec policy in conjunction with a simple border ACL to restrict access to that node from un-trusted
networks (actually, all non-admin networks).

As far as IIS is concerned, IIS is not much of a liability in and of itself.  The liability is that folks who don't
have a clue (or don't care) do not take the time to understand how it works, or the measures required to make it
function in a safe manner.  As long as you understand the threats and lock it down, you're just fine.  Read the MS best
practices, and make use of IIS Lockdown, URLScan, etc.  Also use integrated authentication to the extent possible, and
check all of your ACL's.

In a nutshell, you're not at a total disadvantage using Win32.  You have to go with what you know, right?  Just apply
some common sense, and sound network security practices in general, and it'll be fine.

Cheers

Keith