Snort mailing list archives

Re: Automating Sensor Installation

From: Demetri Mouratis <dmourati () cm math uiuc edu>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 18:14:58 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 19 May 2002, Darren Young wrote:

I've been in the market for a while for a dedicated
Linux sensor distro but have not found one.

<snip>

What other distros are fairly simple to automate? I've
done RedHat before, but I really don't want all their
crap on a sensor. Just a really plain and simple
release.

Darren,

I would look more closely at RedHat's kickstart facility.  It's fairly
trivial to kickstart a RH box with say, the 2.4.18 kernel, snort, acid,
and postgresql/mysql.

You can add in customized shell scripts as part of the post install.  We
use this to setup the networking scripts, routing tables, ips, and such.

Demetri Mouratis
dmourati () linfactory com