Snort mailing list archives

Re: Running Snort Daemon Problem

From: Chris Green <cmg () uab edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 12:33:38 -0600

"Bill" <wkuhn () adelphia net> writes:

Hello,
I am trying to get Snort 1.7 installed on a Linux Server

Ancient snort alert.  Upgrade to stable CVS.

... I installed the snort rpm and the tarball... I had to do that
because the RPM doesn't have the ability to log to postgresql
database... I try to start the snortd daemon and it gives me an
error:

snortd: /etc/snort/snort.conf: Permission Denied

Here is the Start Section of the snortd (located in /etc/rc.d/init.d):
start)
echo -n "Starting snort: "
daemon /usr/local/bin/snort -u snort -dev -D \
-i $INTERFACE -l /var/log/snort -u snort -g snort -c
/etc/snort/snort.conf -b
touch /var/lock/subsys/snort
echo
;;

That looks like the old chroot daemon script.   Where is this RPM from?

The Snort binary is owned by root and the group is snort (was root
but same error).

The /etc/snort directory is owned by root and group of root, the permissions
are 755 (rwxr_xr_x).
The files in the /etc/snort directory are owned by root and the group is
snort (this includes snort.conf)
The snort.conf is in mode 640....

There is a missing \ at the end of your '-c' line

daemon /usr/local/bin/snort -u snort -dev -D \
       -i $INTERFACE -l /var/log/snort -u snort -g snort -c  \
       /etc/snort/snort.conf -b

-v shouldn't be used in daemon mode

If you're feeling brave, remove all the RPMs and bits of snort you
currently have installed and try some testing RPMS of the current
stable snapshot:

ftp://helium.tucc.uab.edu/pub/snort-rpm (compiled on rh7.2)
--
Chris Green <cmg () uab edu>
"I'm beginning to think that my router may be confused."