Snort mailing list archives

Running Snort Daemon Problem

From: "Bill" <wkuhn () adelphia net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 11:00:34 -0800

Hello,
I am trying to get Snort 1.7 installed on a Linux Server... I installed the
snort rpm and the tarball... I had to do that because the RPM doesn't have
the ability to log to postgresql database... I try to start the snortd
daemon and it gives me an error:

snortd: /etc/snort/snort.conf: Permission Denied

Here is the Start Section of the snortd (located in /etc/rc.d/init.d):
start)
echo -n "Starting snort: "
daemon /usr/local/bin/snort -u snort -dev -D \
-i $INTERFACE -l /var/log/snort -u snort -g snort -c
/etc/snort/snort.conf -b
touch /var/lock/subsys/snort
echo
;;

The Snort binary is owned by root and the group is snort (was root but same
error).

The /etc/snort directory is owned by root and group of root, the permissions
are 755 (rwxr_xr_x).
The files in the /etc/snort directory are owned by root and the group is
snort (this includes snort.conf)
The snort.conf is in mode 640....

I checked the /var/log/snort permissions:
the snort directory is snort.snort (owner.group) all files inside are
snort.snort.

Some things I tried were:
chmoding the content of /etc/snort to 777 but I get errors of none of the
commands in the snort.conf can be found....
/etc/snort/snort.conf: var: command not found [ OK ]
/etc/snort/snort.conf: var: command not found
/etc/snort/snort.conf: var: command not found
/etc/snort/snort.conf: preprocessor: command not found
/etc/snort/snort.conf: preprocessor: command not found

I would try running it from a command prompt:
/usr/local/bin/snort -u snort -dev -D -i eth0 -l /var/log/snort -u snort -g
snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -b

It says it started but running "ps aux / grep snort" shows nothing....

I am at a loss for this one...

Any ideas????